The classic shape of a crew neck jumper combined with intricate Merino Wool stitching.
Your Merston Jumper ensures you carry understated elegance wherever you go.
Aran knitwear was first developed in the 1800s for fishermen in the Aran Islands, Ireland, and has since grown in popularity into a world-famous fashion item. Traditionally made from Merino Wool – which is softer than regular wool, making it an ideal fabric for warm garments.
The natural beauty of Aran Knitwear can be accredited to the attention to detail in the stitching. Every pattern carries symbolism which unites the knitwear with the heritage and history of the Aran Islands.
Our Merston Jumper features the ‘Cable Stitch’ and ‘Diamond Stitch’. The Cable Stitch symbolises the ropes the fishermen used. This was seen as a symbol of safety and good luck for the fishermen at sea.
The Diamond Stitch symbolises the shapes of the fishing mesh islanders used. As these fishing meshes were used to make a living – this stitch signifies wealth and success.
You can be sure you’ll be kept warm in your Merino Wool. The wool contains a natural crimp, or air pockets, which can hold body heat around your body – keeping you exceptionally warm.
Despite this, Merino Wool is breathable as it can absorb 35% of its weight in moisture, which can then evaporate to release moisture.
Wool also has odour-resistant properties due to its natural antibacterial effects. Bacteria responsible for odours find it hard to stick due to the wool fibre structure, which makes it highly functional as you won’t have to wash it daily.
Your Merston Jumper will have a traditional, relaxed fit. Drop down a size for a more fitted look.
Choose from 3 colours – Summer Blue, Crimson Red and Black. We have a wide selection of outdoor clothing which work great combined with the Merston Jumper – whether you need to layer for extra warmth or top off your look with a hat.
Be sure to accurately measure yourself and check against our size guide to get the perfect fit you expect from Walker & Hawkes.
Dry-clean or hand-wash only. Turn Inside out before washing. Use mild detergent. Do not rub, wring, spin, tumble dry or bleach. Reshape whilst damp and dry flat to restore shape. Iron on reverse.
- 100% Merino Wool – a natural fibre grown by Merino sheep. Softer than regular wool, so a great fabric for garments.
- Traditional Aran Knitwear – vintage outerwear used by outdoor enthusiasts since the 1800s.
- Made in Ireland.
- Cable Stitch Pattern – carry some history of the Aran Islands with your jumper. The Cable Stitch pattern represents the fishermen’s ropes and symbolises safety and good luck.
- Diamond Stitch Pattern – the Diamond Stitch pattern represents the shape of the fishing mesh and symbolises wealth and success.
- Warm – wool is one of the best natural insulators of heat. Air pockets within the stitching help hold warm air.
- Breathable – moisture is absorbed and released in the wool by evaporation.
- Odour-resistant – bacteria responsible for odours find it hard to stick due to the structure of wool fibres.
- Easy to style – A wide selection of outdoor clothing to accommodate your jumper. Hats, jackets and country shirts available.
- Available in Summer Blue, Crimson Red and Black.
- Your Merston Jumper will be dispatched quickly and safely.
- Suitable for a wide range of uses, including: fishing, shooting, hiking, horse-riding, farming, fashion, outerwear, dog walking and more!
- Made from 100% Merino Wool